Recently at home 30/04/2011 (TNB)
- Brunello 1997 (Il Poggione) An odd remaining bottle. Dry, deep warm vintage fruit but perhaps getting a shade thin. Needs food. Bare
- Champagne NV Silver Brut (A Clouet) Been in cellar a few years - now showing quite a lot of age character. Some might say this is down to the zero dosage. Stylish wine. Top
- Chignin blanc, Vin de Savoi 2005 (R. Quenard) I've enjoyed a few bottles of this light, mineral, fairly low alcohol (11.5%) wine. It seemed a little lighter than usual on this occasion, but still rather good. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 30/04/2011 Return to top
Wine group with Z.M. 26/04/2011 (TNB)The Vintners Rooms have a new Italian chef who turned out a fantastic meal!
- Champagne Blanc de blancs NV (Dosnon and Lepage) Tending to vegetal, rather than the chalky minerality of the Cote de Blancs. But this has excellent concentration and balance. I prefer their BdB I think, but this perhaps just needs some time in bottle.
- Bianco 2008 (La Coste di Gradoli) Unusual flavours - apple, possibly cinnamon; rich-textured yet quite dry and with good length. A wine that makes you sit up and take notice - the product of very natural winemaking. Splendid, given that this is the basic wine in their range. Top
- Bianco Piu 2008 (La Coste di Gradoli) Pinky gold from skin contact, this has spent some time in old barrels. It has those spiced apple flavours of the basic wine, but extra complexity and length. The total effect hints at the Gravner style a bit, but is rather less outre. Needs time in decanter to show its rather excellent best.
- Rosso Piu 2008 (La Coste di Gradoli) Stinky nose blows off (another wine that needs decanting for a while), but it then reveals silky fruit with a lovely balance. Not much upstaged by the Soldera, which says something. Delicious.
- Brunello Riserva Intistieti 2003 (Casse Base, Soldera) Vanilla ice cream (something I always seem to note for this producer), complex sexy fruit. Gorgeous.
- Chianti Classico Riserva 2007 (Porta di Vertine) Muted cherry nose, dry, quite tannic. Nice balance - serious Chianti made for ageing. even.
- Chianti Classico Riserva Anfiteatro 1995 (Vecchie Terre di Montefili) Softly maturing fruit, but still quite substantial tanins. Very much built for aging - could do with a bit more I feel. Quite dry on the palate - best with food. Top
- Chianti Classico Riserva Anfiteatro 1994 (Vecchie Terre di Montefili) Dry again, a touch austere almost. Pretty tannin. A tremendous effort from a so-so vintage.
- Sa'etta 1999 (Monte Barnardi) I haven't had this for a while. I have to say it has eveloved very well - very attractive cherry fruit.
- Chianti Classic Riserva 1962 (Villa Rosa) Delicate, pure and fragrant, bone dry - quite steely. In tremendous condition.
- Deidesheimer Hohenmorgen Auslese 1990 (Bassermann-Jordan) Very pleasantly drinkable, without being remarkable. Bare
- Wehlener Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese 1990 (F. Haag) Very fresh, pale sherberty and generally beautiful! even.
- Niepoort 1981 Not really declared, I think. Lovely ripe, pure fruit. Very fresh - generally top quality port. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 04/05/2011 Return to top
In London 10/04/2011 (TNB)
- Irouleguy blanc Hegoxuri 2008 (Arretxea) Gutsy, quite individual, very attractive drinking. An AC to look out for. Top almost more
- Champagne Extra Brut, Grand Cru NV (Pierre Peters) Very Le Mesnil - mineral, hinting at oxidative but not really so, complex. Pretty dry and really a very good NV. Top almost more.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 10/04/2011 Return to top
From the cellar 06/04/2011 (TNB)
- Cote Rotie, Brune et Blonde 1985 (Guigal) From a half, the fruit receding a bit but deliciously smoky. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 06/04/2011 Return to top