- Saint Aubin 1er cru Sur Gamay 2005 (Deux Montille) Pure, good intensity, fairly classic, greengage fruit. A bit hard currently, but will be delicious in a year or two. (rising to a top 3 stars)
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 21/08/2007 Return to top
- Gevrey Chambertin 2002 (Fourrier) Earthy and seemingly quite evolved - I guessed Gevrey but thought it might be older (late 90s). A pretty good village wine but without the complexity that might cause me to confuse it with a (good) premier cru. This seems to be drinking now.
- Morey St Denis En La Rue de Vergy 2001 (Lignier-Michelot) Very juicy, high-toned, intensely mineral. Delicious. The vineyard is adjacent to and above Clos de Tart - the racyness and elegance is consistent with this. Still improving. Very good for a village lieux-dit. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 18/08/2007 Return to top
- Meursault 1er cru Genevrieres 1992 (F. Jobard) Given this blind, I got the vintage straight off because it is quite big, and slightly on the fat side of neutral - rather as the vintage used to be advertised although I have not always found them to be that way. I didn't guess the grower because while very good indeed, this doesn't have the usual Jobard leanness which I so like - it's a counterexample to the idea that one never tastes a wine from this grower that is ready to drink. Excellent mature Burgundy. Bare
- Bourgogne Rouge 1993 (Barthod) Very gamy and completely mature. Fairly pleasant but not of the quality that this wine sometimes is (the 88, 90 and 05 come to mind as having been excellent). Apparently other bottles have been fresher and so I will not rate this one.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 14/08/2007 Return to top
- Montepuliciano d'Abruzzo 2004 (Masciarelli) Very drinkable, restrained attractive fruit with a bit of character too. Good given the retail price. Scrapes
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 11/08/2007 Return to top
- Pouilly Fume 2006 (C. Michot) Refined, a touch perhaps of the famed smokyness, good fruit. Top
- Chablis 1er cru Cote de Lechet 2004 (Domaine des Malandes) Pretty strong authentically mineral Chablis. A little hard at the moment but will be pretty good in a couple of years.
- Sancerre Les Collines Blanches 2006 (H. Brochard) Good fruit - very Sauvignon but not unpleasantly so. Compared to the Pouilly Fume above, richer, more substance but a shade less refined. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 09/08/2007 Return to top
- Redoma branco 2002 (Niepoort) Very nice - an individual palate with a sort of broadness that I associate with the South of France. Good balance and length. Interesting drinking. Bare
- Beaujolais Villages, Terre Dessus 2005 (Andre Colonge) Pleasantly fruity but unremarkable. (From a half.)
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 06/08/2007 Return to top
- Chardonnay Castello della Sala Bramito del Cervo 2006 (Antinori) Very clean, dry and refreshing. Good intensity and length too but not overwrought - very drinkable. A good
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 05/08/2007 Return to top