- Taittinger NV Good, but not a favourite NV - lacks elegance and was clearly not as good as the next wine.
- Bollinger NV Excellent - I've rather ignored Bollinger of recent years, but it is a good wine. Easily
- Hermitage 1983, Chave I've not been over enthusiastic about this wine in the past - but now I know it's not the big wine some books would have you believe, I'm much happier with it. Lovely maturing flavours and a cherry edge.
- Chateau Gruaud Larose 1982 Sublime - very fine claret. Fruit and maturing flavours - needs more time to be at its best.
- Quinta do Noval 1978 Light to medium weight Port that is ready for drinking.
- Broadley Vineyards Oregon Reserve Pinot Noir 1995 Not as showy as I had expected - rather quiet. Is it declining or just waiting?
- Lynmar Estate Bottled Pinot Noir 1995 Quiet at first, but then with time in the glass all sorts of nuances came through - coffee and berries. (possibly more)
- Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Les Suchots Domaine Maniere 1994, Denis Philibert Light to medium weight Burgundy, ready for drinking.
- Copertino Rosso 1994, Francesco Colasci Good cheap food wine.
- Cote-du-Rhone 1988, Guigal Still drinking well.
- Chateau Musar 1982 Thin appearance, but, after a slow start in the glass, it came through. Probably worth keeping a bit longer - even though this isn't a top Musar.
- Crozes Hermitage 1998, Les Vignerons Reunis a Tain l'Hermitage Poor wine - nothing obviously faulty with it, but 'commercial' in style.
- Coudoulet 1989 This has always been delicious, and still is. No rush to drink up.
- Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 1988, Thorin One of those bottles that somehow gets into the cellar and gets forgotten about (or ignored, as in this case, as likely not to be very enjoyable). This, however was fine, nothing spectacular, but nothing wrong with it. Cherries and floral tones.
- Notapanaro 1988, Taurino A good bottle of this (after initially tasting acidic and past it).
- Vino Nobile de Montepulciano 1995, Cecchi Picked off the shelf in Sainsbury's (just over eight pounds - money that is, not weight). Very enjoyable, with just enough maturity to start making it interesting. will try this again soon. Easily
- Chianti Classico Messer Pietro di Teuzzo 1995, Cecchi So impressed with the above that I rushed out (well, walked sedately) back to the supermarket to get this. Nowhere near as good. Lacking generosity.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 25/01/2000 Return to top