A 50th Birthday Party 21/01/2012 (TNB)At Mithas, with a lot of lovely Indian dishes.
- Heidsieck Diamant Bleu 1962 Beautifully fresh. Honey, very bright, nice creamy testure. Savoury. Really good old Champagne.
- Chablis Montee de Tonnerre 1970 (Raveneau) A poor vintage apparently: even from a magnum this is weak and past it.
- Vouray Le Haut Lieu Sec 1962 (Huet) Completely fresh, dry, sour-edged fruit of great complexity, finesse and length. Very beautiful indeed.
- Clos de Beze 1962 (Clair-Dau) Lovely fruit, warm and round. Dry on the palate wioth that complex almost metallic note of top Burgiundy. Lovely.
- Rioja Imperial 1962 From halves with no clear indication ofwhether Gran Reservea or not. Goo old Riuoja, but I was not as keen as some on this. Say bare
- Chianti Classic Riserva Ducale 1962 (Ruffino) Very piquant, very much alive. Excellent for what was never a very expensive wine at 50 years old!
- Gattinara 1962 (Narvi) Two bottles, the nicer one rather charming although it fades quite quickly in the glass. Bare
- La Gaffeliere 1962 Oxidised.
- Ausone 1962 Iodine, sea air, a touch of smoke. Fantastic fruit, drinking beautifully. Totally, totally gorgeous.
- Leoville Barton 1962 From a magnum: fruitcake quality - gentleman's Claret. Very good if slightly chunky for my taste. A strong
- Gruaud Larose 1962 Finer, more scented and more complex than the Barton. Lovely.
- Leoville Poyferre 1962 High-toned, high acid, rather hollow inside. This may always have been rather austere but perhaps better a decade ago. Bare
- Lynch Bages 1962 (Wine Society bottling) Cassis fruit, quite light but rounded and terribly easy to drink. Top
- Climens 1962 (bottled Lebegue) In excellent condition, bright and fresh with rather beautiful flavours. But the whole thing lacked the concentartion and oomph you would expect. Some sort of "second wine" bottling perhaps? Still, it's pleasant drinking. Top
- Taylor 1966 This too seemed a bit insubstantial without really having a fault you could point to. Good, but not top-top. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 23/01/2012 Return to top
A 2010 Fleurie 05/01/2012 (TNB)
- Fleurie 2010 (Clos de la Roilette) This is concentrated, fragrant and attractively high toned. Nicely balanced too, with some structure. This is what people are saying about 2010: not tending to blowsy as the 2009s can, but tighter with better acid and mouthwatering fruit. Delicious. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 05/01/2012 Return to top