- Pinot Grigio 2015 (Cantina Kaltern) From the Alto Adige, this less well know co-op has produced a very decent Pinot Grigio. It is not immensely complex but it has balance and the feel of a decent Macon about it. It's not that relatively expensive either. Rounded and fruity yet dry an balanced.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 29/01/2017 Return to top
- Carso - Kras Malvasia 2015 (Kocjancic Rado) It has that broad, Malvasia palate that does not suggest particular fruits to me - remeniscent of Marsanne in many ways. This is quite concentrated and has a long, savoury, mineral finish. Just a little angular at the moment and could do with a year or so to round off. This estate in Friuli is in the same area as the great Edi Kante. Very good - even
- Aloxe Corton 1er cru Les Vercots 2005 (Follin-Arbelet) High toned red fruits, fairly tannic still. Good, but there is a slight question of the maturity of the fruit versus the tannins - will it come into complete harmony?. Certainly needs food at the moment. good Burgundy: top I think - but it might surpeise me in a year or two.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 28/01/2017 Return to top
- Maranges 1er cru Les Clos Roussets 2014 (Chevrot) Maranges is one of the places we might retreat to as the classic Burgundy villages become outrageously pricey. Quite tannic and tending towards the rustic - yet appealingly drinkable.
- Maranges blanc 2014 (Chevrot) Same comments as the red above in a way, but a little more mainstream but still a way from suave. Bare
- Bricco Appiani Langhe Rosso 2007 (Roddolo) A cassis Cabernet hidden behind a Barolo structure here. If it is Bordeaux, it is in the 1975 or 1986 mould but with excellent fruit. Very different from a lot of Piedmont cabernet-based "international-style" wines and very, very good. It's out of the mainstream and so hard to judge its future, but to me and rising.
- Champagne Bouzy 1999 (A. Clouet) Mature Champagne with bruised apple pinot character and good mature fruit. Very pleasant with food but a bit short on elegance to be really first rate otherwise. Bare in the right circumstances.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 22/01/2017 Return to top
- Pinot Gris 2013 (Rolly Gassmann) Deep and medium dry, enjoyable, but lacking elegance. In my younger days I would have enjoyed this more, but it feels clunky and obvious. just
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 15/01/2017 Return to top