- Les Calcinaires 2004 (Gauby) Petrolly. Mature-seeming. I suspect this is not as it should be?
- Terra Alta L'Avi Arrufi blanco 2001 Brown sugar, rich, lemony, quite dry. Honied. Curious wine. perhaps
- Corton Charlemagne 1994 (Jadot) Steely, mineral, intense. Very nice indeed. No hurry to drink.
- Puligny Montrachet 1er cru Demoiselles 1994 (Amiot Guy) Rather evolved and clumsy beside the other wines, though decent.
- Puligny Montrachet 1er cru Folatieres 1994 (J-M Boillot) Very pure, balanced, refined. Lovely.
- Chambolle Musigny 2002 (Bertheau) Very pure, appetising, lovely fruit. Excellent for village level.
- Chambolle Musigny 1er cru Charmes 2001 (Barthod) Sexy, fragrant, beautiful. Great minerality. Still some tannins. Lovely.
- Brunello 1995 (Antinori) Pruney fruit. Very enjoyable.
- Brunello 1996 (Antinori) A rather oxidised character surfaced occasionally. Pruny fruit again. I have some doubts about this, but possibly I would rate it higher if I could drink a couple of glasses.
- Brunello 1982 (Campo Giovanni) Prunes, raisins, a touch maderised. Interesting wine.
- Brunello 1979 (Altesino) very oxidised.
- Brunello 1977 (giacondo) Pure, really nice balance. Lovely old wine. Bare
- Vouvray Trie de Grains Noble. 1990 (Aubusieres) Very sauternes-like. Barley-sugar. Rather good. Top
- Taylor 1980 Raspberry fruit, terribly easy drinking, quite high-toned. A touch of firmness. Lovely. Easy
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 04/08/2007 Return to top
- Tokay Pinot Gris, Clos des Capucins, Cuvee St Catherine 1994 (Weinbach) Rich yet balanced and fairly dry, very suave and easy to drink. Delicious.
- Cotes du Rhone blanc Reserve 1995 (Chateau de Fonsalette) Lemony nose and palate with a floral custard flavour and powdery texture. Very attractive.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 27/07/2007 Return to top
- Meursault Tessons 2002 (J-P. Fichet) Very stylish, nice fruit, probably close to peak. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 22/07/2007 Return to top
- Pommard 1er cru Poutures 1988 (Lejeune) Bone-dry, fragrant, succulent. I seemed to rate this rather low last time I had a bottle and so I opened this one with low expectations. In fact it's delicious. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 20/07/2007 Return to top
- Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Combes aux Moines 1997 (Fourrier) More mineral than I remember it - very pure, attractive fruit with just a hint of meaty overtones. Really very stylish and a great effort for the vintage. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 16/07/2007 Return to top
- Soave Calvarino 2003 (Pieropan) I could convince myself there was some 2003 fatness in this wine (I guess the warm Summer went that far South). With time in the glass there's that Pieropan crystaline purity. Very enjoyable.
- Don PX Montilla Moriles 1971 (Toro Albala) I'm not a great PX man but tried this at the Seafood Restaurant in St Andrews (along with the Soave above). It substitutes well for coffee with dessert - those sort of flavours. There's a flatness on the palate characteristic of the style - there's no piquancy - but it's rather enjoyable.
- Bandol Cuvee Speciale 1998 (Tempier) Pleasantly suave, sophisticated, mineral wine. I was expecting more inaccessibility but looking back, I last tasted it five years ago - how time flies. Lovely wine. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 15/07/2007 Return to top
- Meursault Gruyaches 2004 (J-P. Fichet) Quite lemony, high-toned with hazelnut fruit. Good intensity if not ultimately profound. (Perhaps profundity is too much to expect from a village wine.) If not deep, then this is very enjoyable. Drinking OK right now but may well improve a bit. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 08/07/2007 Return to top
- Barolo Bussia Soprana 1994 (Aldo Conterno) Decanted for half an hour, this has a lovely, classic tar and roses nose and graceful, high-toned palate. There's tannins too, to give it a bit of grip, but that only adds to the drinking pleasure, to my mind. Really good in a moderate vintage. At peak, probably. Bare even.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 06/07/2007 Return to top
- Riesling Abtsberg Spatlese 1989 (Miximin Grunhaus) I have seen reports from tasters who were underwhelmed by this wine and I can see why if it was tasted with other wines. Restrained limey slate flavours and penetrating, sightly sherberty acidity. Long persistent finish. This is rather good, to my mind. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 04/07/2007 Return to top