A dinner at D.L.'s 31/05/2008 (TNB)
- Champagne 1989 (Gosset) Mushrooms, lakewater - completely evolved and really rather fine.
- Gewurztraminer Reserve Rolly Gassmann 1983 (Rolly Gassmann) Smoky rose-petals, very gently and quite dry. Lovely. Top
- Chambolle Musigny 1er cru Les Cras 1997 (Roumier) Charming, a touch mineral but also quite light and a little shorter oon the palate than one might hope.
- Echezeaux 1996 (Lamarche) Very bright, flavory, high-acid (as with many wines in this vintage) and with good tannins. Developing nicely.
- Pommard 1er cru Epenots 1986 (Comte Armand) Odd, somewhat oxidised, not really a nice drink.
- Pommard 1er cru Epenots 1985 (Comte Armand) Smoky fruit, gentle yet quite meaty fruit. In really nice condition. Bare
- Barolo Bussia 1967 (Luigi Mascarello) Great condition: pure, mineral and fragrant. Bare
- Ridge Montebello 1985 Corked.
- York Creek Zinfandel 1985 (Ridge) Gorgeous fresh brambly fruit with hints of underbrush and damp earth. Nice balance even with the touch of sweetnes. Seems still youthful. Top
- Bandol Cabassaou 1990 (Tempier) Slightly tainted.
- Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Auslese Fuder 88 1983 (von Schubert) Top class mature Riesling, complex long and comletely fresh. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 06/07/2008 Return to top
Wine group at J.M's 26/05/2008 (TNB)Interesting to taste a flight of Lynch-Bages. The wines are very good but seem lacking in the minerality and precision I would hope for in (say) a second growth. I am not sure that the classification system greatly under-rates this property, as many seem to claim.
- Sauvignon de St Bris 2006 (La Chablisienne) Seems rather thin at first but there is some intensity. Quite sharp. Overall, this seems a bit dull.
- Bourgogne Aligote 2004 (H. Lignier) Toffee nose at first, quite intene, high acid, lemony. Needs food really.
- Chablis 1er cru Butteaux 2000 (Raveneau) Intense, round and mouthfilling. This seems a bit one-dimensional at present but I guess it will develop.
- Chablis 1er cru Montee de Tonnerre 2000 (Raveneau) This seems rather lighter than the Butteaux and higher-toned. Again, pretty good. Bare
- Chablis 1er cru Butteaux 2002 (Raveneau) Great balance, intense all through the palate, rich and long. Will develop but already rather lovely. Top
- Chassagne Montrachet 1er cru Chaumees 1996 (Colin-Deleger) On the edge of the pox - drinkable currently but dubious.
- Chassagne Montachet 1er cru Caillerets 1996 (Morey-Coffinet) Very lovely - complex, slightly vegetal fruit. Showing really well. Top
- Chateau Lynch Bages 1990 Smoky fruit, berryish - seems quite Merlot-influenced. The fruit a bit coarse-grained and not terribly well-focussed - a feature of all the wines in this flight. I prefer my Claret a bit more intellectual, but this is good stuff.
- Chateau Lynch Bages 1986 Smoky berry fruit again, but this wine is still a touch hard and slightly bitter on the finish. Rather good. Top
- Chateau Lynch Bages 1982 Quite balanced, ripe and round. This has lost the showy fruit it had in its youth (for which I think I am grateful). Good density. Bare
- Chateau Lynch Bages 1970 Slightly edgy and a touch volatile. There might be better bottles of this although some admired this bottle more than I did. Good, and hints that a better bottle might be excellent. Top
- Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Sec 1957 (Huet) Lemony, dry, the indifferent vintage showing in that it lacks the extra dimensions a great wine of this age might have. Quite demanding, but it repays the attention. Goes quite well with the cheese.
- Rieussec 1990 Pretty barley-sugar fruit, bags of botrytis, a bit blowzy in the way the wines of this property often seem to be. Top
- Smith Woodhouse 1980 Intense raspberry fruit, dense colour, excellent (as so many 1980's are). Seems a bit out of balance currently towards the finish. Excellent though -
- Grahams 1977 Lighter, less assertive, quite aniseedy. One hopes for more from this wine, and indeed a bottle from a different source last November was distinctly better.
- Champagne Perle NV (Lilbert) A great refresher: lemony, dry, elegant, but with the intensity to drink after Port. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 07/06/2008 Return to top
- Chambolle Musigny 1er cru Gruenchers 1998 (Fourrier) Drinking very nicely, this 98 at least is losing its hardness (I assume like most of the vintage it was a bit uncompromising a few years ago). The nature of the fruit reminds me of 1993 a little (quite dark, yet precise) although not quite of the quality that vintage gives. Bare
- Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg 1988 Spatlese (von Schubert) This seems pretty much mature with an attractive sour apple streak running through the fruit. Very nice. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 24/05/2008 Return to top
From the cellar recently 16/05/2008 (TNB)
- Meursault Les Meix Chavaux 2002 (Roulot) In some ways, not a remarkable wine - not so terribly complex in particular. Yet this is so completely harmonious that one always wants an extra glass. There's a sense of easy balance that one tends to have to pay serious money for. Starting to drink nicely. Top
- Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia 1997 (Felsina Berardenga) Substantial wine, juicy like all the best Chianti yet with serious depth. One of my favourite Chiantis although I do question the sort of prices now asked. Like many 97's it is relatively forward.
- Beaunce 1er cru Greves 1997 (Lafarge) Lafarge is never easy drinking. This is light-coloured and still quite tannic, a touch hard, but I think it has the fruit to develop further. Good already in its slightly challenging way. and rising to the top of the range.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 16/05/2008 Return to top
- Piemonte Moscato Frizzante 2006 (Cantine Volpi) Fresh, grapey fruit, gentle fizz, off-dry. A very nice example of the style.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 09/05/2008 Return to top
- Champagne Cramant Grand Cru Perle NV (Lilbert) What was once "Cremant de Cramant", beautiful tiny bubbles a bit less fizzy than standard Champers. This is lemony and restrained. Quite dry and very elegant, unassertive but with a good depth and a touch of minerality. Will probably still improve. Top - maybe more
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 03/05/2008 Return to top