- Riesling Schlossberg 1993 (Weinbach) Drinking really well, fairly dry, the fruit still fruity, but complex secondary too. Very nice. Top
- Riesling Pflaenzerreben 1990 (Rolly-Gassmann) A touch of residual sugar now completely integrated, splendidly rich wine, drinking beautifully. even.
- Champagne Grand Cru Reserve NV (Marguet) The 2000 from this producer tried a while ago seemed a bit problematic. This is good though - fair dosage, quite large-framed but very drinkable. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 30/05/2009 Return to top
- Champagne Cuis 1976 (Diebolt-Vallois) Splendidly fresh. Mushrooms, slow-moving rivers, nice fruit. The best bottle of this late-disgorged wine I have had. Top
- Durnsteiner Hollerin Smaragd 2005 (F X Pichler) Talc - scented rose-petal nose, very good concentration, dry but not austere. Excellent length. Lovely. Top
- Riesling Craighall Amaranth 1998 (Dry River) Mineral, scented, great body, complex. Amazing dry richness. Rather a star! Bare even.
- Russian River Chardonnay Chloe 2005 (Du Mol) Herby, huge, a touch sweet, alcohol rather evident. (more if you like the style)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru Amoureuses 1971 (Groffier - Piat) Quite delicate and elgenant, becoming a touch edgy. Fruit sweet and attractive. Top
- Chateau Ausone 1943 Fresh flowers, see breeze, fantastically delicate aetherial, subtly smoky character.
- Chateau Lynch Bages 1962 Cassis and digestive biscuits, tiny touch of mint. Fragrant, very fine. Bare
- Cabernet Sauvignon Estate 1978 (Chateau Montelena) Rounded, nice fruit, still fairly primary. At this stage at least, a little simple. Very good but suffers perhaps following the old Clarets. Top
- Chateau Siran 1953 Corked.
- Cornas 1989 (N. Verset) One bottle corked - one of those marginal cases where it was mainly the stripped flavour rather than anything more definite. Replacement bottle mineral, sauvage, succulent, absolutely delicious.
- Niederhauser Hermansholle TBA 1989 (Stadtdomain) Touch of brown sugar, lovely mature fruit, really good.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 13/06/2009 Return to top
- Rosa del Rosa 2006 (Sperino) Very attractive, pure strawberry fruit with (for a rose) good persistence and a touch of complexity. Rather nice. Top
- Riesling 1997 Steiner Hund Spatlese (Nikolaihof) Now for drinking, quite a lot of honey on the palate, yet bone dry. Rather austere at first but as it warms towards room temperature it becomes a fine drink.
- Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Combe aux Moins 1997 (Fourrier) Excellent wine now drinking nicely - gamy, as Fourrier's wine from this vineyard always is. The fruit has that slight cooked quality that seems a feature of the vintage to me. Very good. Top
- Savennieres Clos de la Coulee de Serrant 1986 (Joly) Fantastic: completely fresh, with great minerality and a touch of honey. To me it seems half way between a dry Loire Chenin and a Grand Cru Chablis. Delicious. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 11/05/2009 Return to top
- Wehlener Sonnenuhr 2004 Kabinett (J-J Prum) A touch of very typical spritz, fresh sherbert-lime fruit, nice intensity and length. Probably not quite at peak.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 06/05/2009 Return to top