Barolo dinner at the Vintners Rooms 29/11/2006 (TNB)
- Ribolla Gialla 2001 (Ronco delle Betulle) Nutty, honied, touch of herbs, quite elusive - occasionally has a certain flatness. Rather attractive.
- Barolo 1958 (Marchesi di Barolo) Very reductive but after a while in the glass, fragrant, sous-bois, nutty. Real tar and roses. Reveals more each time ypon come back to it. Bare
- Barolo 1965 (Berteletti) Very pleasantly fruity although a touch of oxidation too. Some bottle variation. Drink up. Good
- Barolo 1968 (Marchesi di Barolo) Fresh, mainstream old Barolo - tar and roses again. Very nice.
- Barolo Brunate 1998 (Marcarini) Mushrooms, underbrush. Pure fruit. Still quite primary of course. Dry and savoury.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 12/12/2006 Return to top
Wine group at E.O'N's 27/11/2006 (TNB)
- Very dry Oloroso (Sandeman) An ancient-looking bottle. Appetising, nutty, good length. Pleasing fruity background. Very nice. Bare
- Chardonnay Collezione de Marche 2003 (Isole e Olena) Petrolly almost. Rich fruit. quite Burgundian. Probably ageworthy. A good
- Chardonnay 2003 (Planeta) Ripe, fruity. Rather simple. Quite New Worldy.
- 2004 Pomino Bianco Benefizio (Frescobaldi) Quite characterful. Mothbally fruit. I like it in a way - more than the Planeta but it hasn't the class of the Isole wine. Top
- Brampton Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 (Rustenberg) Inky, tannic. Youthful, not that concentrated. Touch of mint.
- Sondraia 2003 (Poggio al Tesoro) Inky colour, tannic, quite silky fruit. Classy. Top
- John X Merriman 2003 (Rustenberg) Blackcurranty, minty, silky. Perfectly nice but no real class.
- Veenwouden Classic 2001 Baked fruit. Quite reasonable given that, but not really special.
- Saffredi 2000 (Le Pupille) Lighter but more digestible. Pure, transparent wine. Nicely drinkable. Bare
- Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 1994 (Penfolds) Very deep young red. Timeless, in the sense that it is keeping well but not really developing. Smoky. Ultimately not so complex.
- Old Amontillado Sherry (Sandeman) Pleasant but a bit faded and disjointed. Bare
- East India Sherry Label mainly gone - clearly old. Slightly sweet and a bit nutty.
- Vecchio Samperi Riserva 30 anni (De Bartoli) A bit stinky and faded. There might be better bottles. Top
- Fine de Bourgogne (Faiveley) Yeasty, fruity. Very nice. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 16/12/2006 Return to top
Soldera at The Vintners Rooms 15/11/2006 (TNB)
- Hattenheimer Hassel BA 1976 (Hans Lang) Before the event, while waiting for a taxi at D.L.'s. Deep colour, marmalade, brown sugar, very attractive. Dry enough at this time in its life to be a plausible aperitif. Top
- Brunello Riserva Vigna Intistieti 2000 (Case Basse - Soldera) Not so deep a colour, but very bright. Slightly leesy nose with very floral, high-toned fruit. In the mouth, nice tannins, lovely acidity and great length. Very classy. Bare
- Brunello 1999 (Case Basse - Soldera) Broader, more open on the nose. Easier going. Lovely, but not quite as mineral as the Intistieti. Bare
- Brunello Riserva Vigna Intistieti 1998 (Case Basse - Soldera) Fantastic nose, a mix of floral scents and high-toned fruit. Explodes in the mouth.
- Brunello Riserva Vigna Intistieti 1993 (Case Basse - Soldera) Deeper colour, open, ravishing nose. Creamy again, pure, but open rather than high-toned. Mature, I think. Bare
- Brunello Riserva Vigna Intistieti 1990 (Case Basse - Soldera) A slight prickle at first, dissipates but perhaps takes the edge off a lovely, balanced, mature wine. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 03/12/2006 Return to top