Hewat's were on pretty good form and served up an enjoyable dinner.
- Berncasteler Doctor 1982 Auslese (Lauerberg) Classic, gentle, fresh. Rather good for the vintage.
- Cote du Rhone blanc 1995 (A. Clape) Rather mineral, seemed a bit light at first but it put on weight with air and a bit of warming. I like this more and more as I came back to it. Top
- Pinot Noir 2008 (Tummil Flat) Quite a beetrooty style of NZ pinot, gamy in that way that Pinot used to be. Quite a pleasant balance.
- Mas La Plana 2003 (Torres) The "Black Label" of old. Fragrant, strawberries almost, very drinkable. It's that super-hot vintage again, I guess. Top
- Chateauneuf du Pape 1998 (Vieux Telegraphe) A bit clumsy but not as badly as some from this vintage. Very decent.
- Cote Rotie L Landonne 1991 (Rostaing) A poor bottle, nowhere near the quality of others from the same lot that I have drunk.
- Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Pfersigberg VT 2006 (Barmes-Buecher) Lovely lychee fruit, but at least at this stage a bit short on the spice.
- Vouvray Le Haut Lieu 1er Trie 1989 (Huet) Fine Vouvray as expected but perhaps this is in a stage of evolution where it has gone a little quiet. I'm inclined to say
- Banyuls Cuvee Mediterraneane 2003 (Pietri-Geraud) Quite a well-known producer, I find, but not one I knew before. Rather fine, solid fruit, lots of character nd a nice, balanced sweetness. I would like to try this again, not after quite so many other wines. Top - possibly more in time.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 14/12/2011 Return to top
- Fleurie Vieilles Vignes 2009 (Dom du Point du Jour) Sound wine, but for me this lacks distinction: no great minerality,fragrance or finesse. It's fairly structured and young and so might improve, but I suspect it will just soften without picking up depth or subtlety.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 21/11/2011 Return to top
- Beaujolais blanc villages Chantemerle 2009 (Vincent Lacondemine) Decent fruit, quite lees-influenced, but it seems to be a bit hollow in the mid-palate. I'm a bit luke-warm on this. Strong
- Morgon L'Esprit Cote du Py 2009 (Gravallon and Lathuilière) Really nice fruit, hard to put a name to. Very mineral, nice length and with a background of ripe tannins. Very stylish, and will probably be better in a few years. and rising.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 18/11/2011 Return to top