Wine group at D.L's 31/10/2009 (TNB)
- Viognier 2007 (Lillian) Quite fruity, leesy nose. Reasonable length, slightly hot finish. Top
- Marsanne Roussane 2007 (Lillian) Similarly forward but more reticent. Like the previous wine, pleasantly charcterful fruit, but a slightly edgy finish. Top
- St Joseph blanc 2003 (Perret) Honey, nutty, slightly vegetal, gentle, completely resolved - a touch fading even. Pleasant.
- Hermitage blanc 1986 (Domaine des Remizieres - Desmeure) Stinky, but rather intense, quite mineral, lemony. Vegetal as well, but still vibrant. Really nice. Top
- Meursault 1er cru Charmes 1997 (Jobard) Golden, nutty, mineral, lovely. Good
- Meursault Rougeot 1985 (Coche-Dury) Tending too much to oxidation. Drinkable but really not completely gracefully aged. Bare
- Batard Montrachet 1967 (Ropiteau) Very deep colour. Apricot, touch of honey, mushrooms and underbrush. Curious but pretty nice. Top
- Batard Montrachet 1984 (Albert Morey) More complex. A touch lighter coloured. Beautiful balance. Top
- Volnay Maizierees 2005 (A.F Gros) Very red currant. Not hugely complex but very good. Rising
- Volnay Clos de Reas 2004 (M Gros) Lovely red fruits. Firm, sharp almost. More complex than the previous wine.
- Volnay Clos de Chene 1992 (Lafarge) Silky. Really terribly lovely, suave and attractive. A terrific effort in the vintage. Bare
- Volnay Clos du Chene 1991 (Lafarge) Fragrant silky strawberry fruit. Very fine again.
- Beaucastel 1998 Rather reductively stinky. Hard to say where this is going. I worry about this wine.
- Clos Pignan 1978 (Rayas) Quite gamy. Medium weight. Nice fruit, showing its age rather and fading a touch. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 26/10/2009 Return to top
From the cellar 18/10/2009 (TNB)
- St. Joseph Clos de l'Arbalestrier 1991 (Florentin) Lovely medium weight, fresh, high-toned raspberry fruit with excellent minerality. This is really good wine. Bare even.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 18/10/2009 Return to top
From the Cellar 11/10/2009 (TNB)
- Spanna 1983 (Vallana) I have an awful feeling I may have bought this 20 years ago. Pretty decent, completely alive, fairly fragrant, somewhat rustic and beginning to dry out a touch though. Probably a bit past its best. One lives and learns. Top
- Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Auslese 1989 (von Schubert) Quite a substantial spritz, beyond something one can put down to intentionally high CO2 at bottling. Probably an odd bottle. Bar
- Tunina 2002 (Jermann) A bit dull and flat. If it was Burgundy I would say early-stage pox. Possibly an illustration of the pox problem being more widespread since I thought this would take a few years ageing easily.
- St Aubin 1er cru Sur Gamay 2005 (Deux Montille) Pleasant but a touch underwhelming. Possibly a bit closed at the moment. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 11/10/2009 Return to top